Thursday 3 March 2011

Development.

Richard has now taught us a number of methods to enable us to design our own 3D structure from paper. Our aim now is to use a chosen skill to develop a display for the atrium outside our graphics studio. It must be constructed from sheet paper, three dimensional and include a repeat theme.  

Neeta Madahar - Falling 4.

Last year on my Foundation degree I visited Bradford's I-max media museum, exhibiting there was Neeta Madahar. She is a visual artist working with photography and video, these where my favourite of her exhibition it included both still and moving images of clusters of Sycamore seeds falling through the air, these works are an artificial representation of a naturally occurring event. They evocatively refer to the ways in which our memories can become dreamlike in their recollection. I want to concentrate more on the movement of the seed as they fly through the air.


                          

                          

                          

                      

                         
Sycamore Seeds.


What I want to capture most in my piece is the falling, the way the spiral and glide rather then the shape.


                            

                           

I have chosen pleating as my method. Below is a single sheet of A5 pleated paper, this is my starting point. It does embody the repeat theme but I would like to expand it more, I could add more pieces of pleated paper.


Below are two pleated pieces of A5 paper, now it does look more like a sycamore seed, but I don’t want it to be too literal. Although people in the atrium looking at it on display won't no that my starting point is sycamore seed they my guess.


I’ve now increased it to three pieces of pleated paper it is now looking less like a sycamore seed, but it could possibly pull off being a snow flake. It defiantly now embodies the repeat theme more.



This one now has six pleated pieces of A5 paper. It defiantly responds to the repeat theme and does not look like a sycamore seed. It especially looks good from the side.




What I would like to do is hang these in the atrium in a spiral shape, I would either want them to slowly spin individually or the how spiral to spin. It would then feel like an optical illusion. They would not jus be A5 size, they would increase in size: A5, A4, A3, A2. They would then decrease in size from A2, A3, A4, A5.



Final Piece.
First pictures of my final piece, some of these are a little out of focus as I took them standing on my bed, I will retake these properly in the studio.







No comments:

Post a Comment